Thursday, July 17, 2008

Natalie's Top 10 Performance Show Music Recap




Fox/Kelsey McNeal

I’d like to have Lil’ C as a judge every week. “Gumbo of emotions”. “Balance on the fulcrum of character”. “Internal artistry meets physical expression”. “You guys are the mediators and intercessors to communicate and manifest what the choreographers see”. Brilliant. It just makes sense to me. More so than any kind of stuff that comes out of Mary or Nigel’s mouth.

Onto the music…

Courtney and Joshua’s Hip Hop routine choreographed by Dave Scott

I’m so happy to see Dave Scott back on the show. Like most people, I couldn’t take my eyes off of Joshua. When I did look at Courtney she kept reminding me of Natalie from S2. Still. I felt like she couldn’t dance through her movement because of her pants? No? Oh…and the song was okay. Took a back seat to the choreography and story.

Song title: Skippin’
Artist/Band: Mario
Where you’ve heard the song before: It’s off of his album “Go!”, released in late 2007.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



More after the jump...


Chelsie’s Solo

I’m glad we got to see her do her solo. The song wasn’t anything special. Just something fun to listen to while you watched her dance.

Song title: Pon De Replay
Artist/Band: Rihanna
Where you’ve heard the song before: This song comes up a lot during the audition process of SYTYCD.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Kherington and Mark’s Country Two Step choreographed by Ronnie and Brandi

I was really excited to see different styles on the show this week. After this, I was not so excited. They kept talking about fast choreography. I guess I didn’t see it. Maybe it didn’t do it for me because I don’t like “twangy” country music? Sorry Ty England.

Song title: Kick Back
Artist/Band: Ty England
Where you’ve heard the song before: You’ve probably never heard the song before. It’s off of his 1996 album “Two Ways to Fall”. But Ty was in Garth Brook’s band. I don’t know how many country fans we have out there.
Where you can listen to the whole song:

This song is as hard to track down as some of Alex Da Silva’s song choices. Sorry.

Gev’s Solo

I liked his solo more last week, but this one was good too. I can’t pay attention to the songs tonight for some reason.

Song title: Hello/Goodbye (Uncool)
Artist/Band: Lupe Fiasco feat. Unkle
Where you’ve heard the song before: I've heard this song before. But I can't remember where.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Comfort and Twitch’s Waltz choreographed by Hunter Johnson

IV Reeeaaaalllll? Yeah. For real. That was not so hot. Although, any chance to hear Journey is not a bad deal. Songs you can belt out. Does anyone remember Travis doing an attitude turn during a waltz? I compared Twitch’s to his. Bad idea.

Song title: Open Arms
Artist/Band: Journey
Where you’ve heard the song before: You've heard Mariah Carey, Clay Aiken, and Elliott Yamin sing it. It was in episode of South Park. Oh and it was in the "blockbuster", I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Courtney’s Solo

After watching Courtney’s solo I’m convinced the pants in her first routine made her incapable of getting her leg past her waist. The show loves Celine. I bet the “music lady” picked one.

Song title: I Want You to Need Me
Artist/Band: Celine Dion
Where you’ve heard the song before: It was released in 2000. I don't remember this song. I think my mom owns this album...or maybe I do...?
Where you can listen to the whole song:

I bought this song. Imeem doesn't want to recognize it. Boooooo.

Katee and Will’s Broadway routine choreographed by Tyce Diorio

I can’t even remember how many times I’ve seen this musical, so I’m more than happy to hear this song on the show. As with Katee’s last broadway routine, her and Will danced beyond the music.

Song title: Sit Down You’re Rockin’ the Boat (Guys and Dolls)
Artist/Band: Sam Harris
Where you’ve heard the song before: If you've never seen the musical, it's unlikely that you've heard the song before. Sam Harris, on the other hand, may be someone you recovgnize. He was the grand champion on the first season of Star Search and has appeared all over Broadway.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Mark’s Solo

Mark and Bohemian Rhapsody again. We never saw his full solo to this song, but this time he delivered. He’s quirky. The song’s a classic. Can’t go wrong.

Song title: Bohemian Rhapsody
Artist/Band: Queen
Where you’ve heard the song before: If you've never heard this song before, you should hang your head.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Chelsie and Gev’s Contemporary choreographed by Sonya

I actually liked this contemporary routine better than Chelsie and Mark’s routine during Week 1. Also, Sonya’s choreography runs the gamut. Crazy comic book characters to this. Plus I don’t hate hearing Otis Redding. A different kind of song to dance contemporary to. It worked.

Song title: These Arms of Mine
Artist/Band: Otis Redding
Where you’ve heard the song before: Wikipedia is telling me that this song was on the S.O.S. episode of LOST. I don't know if I believe that.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Comfort’s Solo

I liked the end? But I’m not sure that’s enough to save her.

Song title: Need a Boss
Artist/Band: Shareefa Feat. Ludacris
Where you’ve heard the song before: I'm not familiar with the song.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Twitch’s Solo

Wade’s music gives dancers something to really get after. His music has such small ticks in it and Twitch used almost every single one of them.

Song title: I Question Mark
Artist/Band: Wade Robson
Where you’ve heard the song before: Fans of Wade have heard the song, I'm sure.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Courtney and Joshua’s Rumba choreographed by Jean-Marc and France

Eh. It was okay? Courtney didn’t do it for me. She dances well, but doesn’t seem to dance through her movement, even without skin tight pants on. Plus I could do with never hearing this song every again.

Song title: Hero
Artist/Band: Enrique Iglesias
Where you’ve heard the song before: Again, if you haven't heard this song before, you've been living under a rock.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Katee’s Solo

Love and Basketball anyone? She is my favorite contestant ever on this show. I loved Allison from S2. She has nothing on this girl.

Song title: This Woman’s Work
Artist/Band: Maxwell (MTV Unplugged)
Where you’ve heard the song before: Love and Basketball. Kate Bush originally did this song.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Kherington and Mark’s Jazz routine choreographed by Tyce Diorio

Center Stage and Napoleon Dynamite anyone? I wanted Kherington in red pointe shoes and Mark in space boots, tight jeans and glasses. I didn’t hate watching this, but I didn’t love it either.

Song title: Canned Heat
Artist/Band: Jamiroquai
Where you’ve heard the song before: Center Stage. Napoleon Dynamite. In the Wii game Boogie. Apparently Nintendo loves this song. It also appears in the DS game Elite Beat Angels and the Gamecube game Donkey Konga.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Will’s Solo

I wouldn’t have guessed this song would have ever made it onto the short list of songs Will would want to dance to. I was wrong. I really liked this.

Song title: Dance with my Father
Artist/Band: Luther Vandross
Where you’ve heard the song before: During the Father/Daughter Dance at the last wedding you went to.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Comfort and Twitch’s Hip Hop routine choreographed by Dave Scott

I mean, this song is on repeat on my iPod more times than not, so obviously I’m already inclined to like this. For once, Nigel made sense. I felt like Twitch and Comfort were just dancing for fun. I didn’t realize that when Dave Scott said futuristic, he meant putting crushed velvet with an old carpet pattern and metallic silver fabric with mirrors on them. Good thing the song and their dancing was that good.

Song title: Forever
Artist/Band: Chris Brown
Where you’ve heard the song before: On my iPod.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Kherington’s Solo

I could see this is an end of the year recital. I like Rihanna. The song is fun.

Song title: Breakin’ Dishes
Artist/Band: Rihanna
Where you’ve heard the song before: It was on an episode of the short-lived Bionic Woman and in the film Sydney White.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Katee and Will’s Pas de Deux choreographed by Desmond Richardson and Dwight Rhoden

Gee, I’ve never heard this song before. Who is this David Archuleta you speak of? As much as I hated hearing the first few notes of the song, I ended up loving it paired with the choreography. If this is what every Pas de Deux is going to be like, I’d like to see it every week. Unfortunately, I’m going to go ahead and say that no other girl or guy could have pulled this off the way that they did. As Cat said. Chills.

Song title: Imagine
Artist/Band: David Archuleta
Where you’ve heard the song before: I think that it's pointless to even joke about this one.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Joshua’s Solo

I danced to this song once. Joshua schooled me. Everything fit well with the music. We all know he’s brilliant. Oh….and I learned that a hand on the shoulder means IV Real.

Song title: Jam
Artist/Band: Michael Jackson
Where you’ve heard the song before: If you know MJ, you know this song.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Chelsie and Gev’s Jive choreographed by Jean-Marc

Again, Lil’ C makes the most sense to me. Maybe that’s weird. Brian Setzer isn’t doing it for me. I guess it was a good song to jive to. Super fast. Fast enough that poor Gev could barely keep his face out of a scowl because he was too worried about keeping up with the music.

Song title: The House is Rockin’
Artist/Band: Brian Setzer
Where you’ve heard the song before: No idea.
Where you can listen to the whole song:



Top 10 Performance Show Music Playlist

SYTYCD Top 10 Performance Show Music

blog comments powered by Disqus